Our Commission’s Role
The BC’s Senior Liberals’ Commission’s role is to provide a forum for seniors across the province, to share ideas and to discuss and develop policies that address seniors’ needs and interests.
Health care, home care, adequate and protected pensions, affordable housing and poverty are just some of the critical issues for seniors in Canada. Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party have been listening to those concerns, and policies developed by seniors, including those of us in BC, have been adopted.
Through our Commission, BC seniors have joined seniors across Canada to develop policies that address:
- Preserving and sustaining Public Health Care
- Providing adequate housing for low income seniors
- Limitations of the Canada Health Act including home care, mental health, Pharmacare and wellness
- Reforming pensions to enhance the financial security of Canadian seniors
But, senior Liberals are also focused on the wellbeing of all Canadians. Our policy discussions have dealt with:
- Support for a strong middle class and for those hoping to join it
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and preparing for climate change impacts
- Restoring greater independence of Members of Parliament and greater accountability of the Prime Minister and cabinet to Parliament
- Addressing the need for stable, well-paying jobs in support of middle class families
- Providing affordable post-secondary education and skills training
Policy resolutions on all of these issues were developed by Senior Liberals’ Commissions and passed at the Liberal Party of Canada’s national convention in February, 2014.
Looking for more information?
For a membership form and/or to donate: